Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday 1 September 2011

Venus Williams out of US Open, Due To Cites Disease

Venus Williams pulled out of the U.S. Open on Wednesday, revealing she recently was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can cause joint pain.The 31-year-old American has won seven Grand Slam titles, including the U.S. Open in 2000 and 2001."I enjoyed playing my first match here, and wish I could continue but right now I am unable to," Williams said in a statement. "I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning soon."She was supposed to face 22nd-seeded Sabine Lisicki on Wednesday.Williams cited a virus when withdrawing from tuneup tournaments since a fourth-round loss at Wimbledon.She returned to action Monday, beating Vesna Dolonts 6-4, 6-3 in the first round, then said: "No one is more in one-match-at-a-time mode than me now at this tournament."Wednesday results: Upsets included Ivo Karlovic and Frank Moser over top-ranked American twins Bob and Mike Bryan, and Christina McHale over No. 8-seed Marion Bartoli.

0 comments:

Post a Comment